25 October 2017 |
Ricotta tortellini, basil and pine nuts
½ zest of a lemon
1x egg yolk
pinch of salt
½ sprig of finely chopped rosemary
10ml olive oil
100g pine nuts (toasted)
½ bunch of basil
1x clove of garlic
300g parmesan cheese micro planed
- Make a mound with your dry ingredients on a clean work surface and make a well in the top like a volcano. Whisk your wet ingredients together and pour it into the well
- Gently stir in the centre of the egg mixture in a circular motion incorporating the flour in your mixing well. When it starts to cling to your finger, with both hands start to kneed it all together. Kneed for ten minutes. The pasta should be firm and elastic with a glossy sheen
- Cling wrap your pasta and let it rest for 30 mins, meanwhile, make your filling
- In a large bowl combine all of your filling ingredients. Beat it all together with a wooden spoon, transfer to a piping bag
- To roll the pasta, divide into 4 and with the palm of your hand flatten the pasta to the correct thickness to feed through the machine. Ensure the pasta machine is secured to a clean work surface and has been dusted with flour.
- Working your way from thickest to thinnest, feed your pasta into the machine ensuring that square edge is fed through first. Take it to setting number 5 (some machines work backwards - no thinner than 3)
- Using a 9cm ring cutter, cut out as many discs as you can make, discard the excess pasta and keep the cut discs under a damp cloth to prevent drying
- Whisk a whole egg and 10mls of water to make an egg wash, this will be your glue. Pipe a small amount of filling into the middle of the discs. Using your finger as a brush gently wipe the egg onto ½ of the disk, repeat on all then fold the pasta in half making sure there is no air trapped in with the filling
- Once in a half moon shape face the round edge towards you, brush a small bit of egg wash onto the right corner, with two hands gently pull both of the corners together putting the right-hand side over the left and press gently.
- Blanch the tortellini in boiling water for 4 minutes
- Heat butter on medium until golden brown. Add pinenuts, shaved garlic. Reduce heat to low. Add blanched past to butter saue and toss gently. Grate parmesan and tear basil, toss to coat. Serve immediately.